Friday, June 19, 2009

7 Quick Takes

7_quick_takes_sm-------1-------

You may remember on May 22nd I posted this picture of our finished front garden:

IMG_4054Here is an updated shot from this week:

IMG_4069I think they are enjoying their new home.

-------2-------

Well, we've been watching some interesting Netflix films.

We saw two more Miyazaki films: Howl's Moving Castle (PG) and Princess Mononoke (PG-13). Personally, I thought Princess Mononoke was okay but not my favorite. It seemed less rich thematically than Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle. Howl's Moving Castle I really enjoyed and heartily recommend, though it is rated PG so we have not let Cecilia see it. I thought the characters were enrapturing, the moral well worth the viewing and the animation beautiful to watch. We are also slowly working through the Jeeves and Wooster Series, starring Hugh Laurie (known now most for House, M.D.) and it is quite a bit of British humor fun, especially if you are used to thinking of Hugh Laurie as this cranky genius from House and then see him as this posh idiot.

-------3-------

You may remember I posted what would be my top animated films. After seeing Up again last weekend, I can honestly say I would not place it in my top list. I do really enjoy the film but there is something about the villain that bores me. I can't explain it well at all. I really enjoy the story of Carl and his wife (it made me cry) and Carl's relationship with Russell and I would adopt Doug in a heartbeat, but the scenes involving the villain really don't interest me much and I have a hard time enjoying them. That said, I may seriously consider putting Howl's Moving Castle among my favorites but, again, I've only watched it once and would need to watch it again.

-------4-------

Within the last few weeks or so, the girls have been misbehaving more and more. So last Friday we began cutting back DVD time (the girls don't really watch any television but I had gotten more and more lazy when it came to DVDs). By Tuesday I had noticed a significant improvement in their behavior. We have been gradually reducing any DVD time so that now they are down to 1 DVD per day. Cecilia knows if she helps me clean up the living room at 4:30, she can pick a DVD at 5:00, which can last through dinner until 6:30 when we all head upstairs. With less DVD time, the girls are playing together more, playing together better and listening better in general. Hence they are also not demanding as much constant attention. They are dancing together, looking at books more and finding new ways to play. When the DVD does come on, they sit quietly and watch it while we get dinner. In short, I'm gaining sanity. Wohoo!

-------5-------

We have a new addition. No, not the baby, although that does seem to be drawing near. Behold:

516T5ZKYW4L._SS400_The Weber Performer. Now, some charcoal and a match and let the grilling begin! In time for July 4th too! Yummy is on the way!

-------6-------

Last evening, for a couple of hours, I had Braxton-Hicks contractions consistently about every 6 minutes. At least I think they were Braxton-Hicks contractions since they were uncomfortable but not painful. I don't know if Braxton-Hicks can be so consistent though. Regardless, shortly after 9pm they got further apart and stopped. I suppose, theoretically, it could have been a bit of pre-labor but they did not grow stronger or closer together. They were consistent at 6 minutes apart, never painful, and stopped in time for me to get a decent night's sleep. My OB appointment went fine yesterday. The doctor confirmed that the baby had dropped, which would explain my noticeable increase in lower back pain the last couple of days. Definitely getting closer.

-------7-------

Anyone else seem to get various children's songs stuck in their heads? I hear them in my head even when I wake up at 3am. Why can't I get a pop song or a hymn or a country song or something not intended for a pre-schooler stuck in my head? Generally they are good songs, but only so many times.

12 comments:

1. WEll, I have the song:

"rise and shine and give god the glory glory" stuck in my head.

And I have no kids.

Figure THAT one out.

ReplyDelete
  2. domesticaecclesiaJune 19, 2009 at 9:49 AM

LOL. that would drive me nuts too.

ReplyDelete
  3. domesticaecclesiaJune 19, 2009 at 9:53 AM

We had a few people recommend it to us since we prefer a charcoal grill. We can't wait to try it out. Should make for some good summer grilling.

ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVE "Howl's Moving Castle." That and "Spirited Away" are two of our favorites, as well. Adam and I will watch them without the kids... they're that good. ;)

I'm excited for baby news! You're so close.

ReplyDelete
  5. My Braxton-Hicks are always that regular - but this time around, my REAL labor contractions weren't regular at all! LOL!

Follow your doc's instructions, but in general if they are not painful and go away when you rest and drink water, they're just false labor.

What's even worse than having preschool songs stuck in your head, is to have the tune stuck but not remember a single verse!

ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those beds have filled in nicely. Glad to see your plants like their new home.

Good to hear the girls are getting easier to manage. It is so nice when they play well together, isn't it?

We have a similar Weber grill and love it.

I was having regular contractions last night too. A bit more pinchy than just the tightness I associate with Braxton-Hicks; but not the pain of full-labor. I kept telling him, "You're not coming out that way, so no sense in all this practice labor." But he didn't listen. Oh well.

ReplyDelete
  7. domesticaecclesiaJune 19, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Thanks. Yeah, IF I gave birth the same week and day as I did Felicity (which i realize the odds are against), I'd give birth tomorrow. I was hoping to go a museum tomorrow too, but we will see I guess.

ReplyDelete
  8. domesticaecclesiaJune 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Honestly, I don't ever recall feeling so many BH contractions in either of my two pregnancies. Cramping, yes, but not nearly so many BH nor have I ever felt them so regularly, yet I've had no recent cramping. I still feel the baby moving regularly so I am not worried.....just wondering if anything is going on. With my last labor, my real contractions were irregular for a day and then only regular for the hour and a half before I wanted to push so I don't expect a whole lot of warning this time around.

ReplyDelete
  9. domesticaecclesiaJune 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Yes - it is wonderful when they share and get on so well.

I know - James emailed Dom asking about it before we decided on it. There is just such a bigger market for gas grills than charcoal ones, or at least it seems that way.

Well, if it is any consolation, he isn't being stubborn, poor Benedict Joseph has no way of knowing he is preparing and practicing for the wrong exit. What would your doctor do if you went into labor before your scheduled c-section? Would he let nature try to take its course or switch to emergency c-section mode?

ReplyDelete
  10. I get kids songs stuck in my head and then can't sleep at night, like for hours! I laughed when I read that about you. I'm praying for a great delivery and a healthy vbaby! Come check me out if you get a moment as I have a special prayer request on my blog for my family. Please pass the word, we really need prayers!!

ReplyDelete
  11. domesticaecclesiaJune 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM

lol, fortunately I can sleep through most things including kids' songs ... it is just irritating waking up multiple times a night to the same kiddie recording in my head.

Absolutely, prayers being said!

ReplyDelete