Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Home Reno II: The Upstairs Bathroom

Ever begin to peel an onion or an apple that you think might just be a little bruised but the deeper you go, the worse it gets until you start to wonder if the dang thing is even worth the effort?!? Our upstairs bathroom IS that onion and it would make anyone cry. 

We knew when we moved in that we would have to replace the bathroom floor. The linoleum was curling along the tub and wavy behind the toilet. We hoped it just had to do with the previous owners apparent fear of caulking and if we just replaced the linoleum the subfloor wouldn't be bad. After all, the previous owners kids had grown up and moved out years ago, so this bathroom had not been used much in a while. 

So, in the beginning of July, I pulled off the outer layer and removed all the baseboards.

 The pale green walls had once been pink!
 And I began to see black.
 And more black.
James removed the toilet and was appalled by the smell. Clearly the toilet had been leaking. The question became how bad and for how long.
 When we peeled back the linoleum, we were met with a lot of black. Clearly this was not recent, nor small.
 Under the linoleum was 1/4" plywood, all lack around the toilet area.
 Underneath that was 1/2" particle board that was, again, all black and disintegrating, because when particle board gets wet it expands and crumbles. I might add, in addition to the genius of using particle board in the flooring in a bathroom, none of the nails were galvanized so they were all rusted.
Underneath that was a layer of black paper that has beautifully become sticky and then flaky from the moisture.
 It had even leaked to the vanity and frayed its particle board from the corner in and turned it black.

So we threw that out as well.
 And underneath that was the final subfloor, a 1/4" plywood. Around the toilet it had been so compromised it was caving in. We removed the entire upper subfloors. The corners of the tub showed definite mold as well, though the wood had not been compromised.
 So we pulled out the final subfloor around the toilet pipe.

 Even the underside of the subfloor was black.
 And the drywall underneath the pipe had been significantly eroded.
 We cleaned out the corroded area and replaced the compromised sub-sub-sub floor with 1/4" new plywood.

 And I cleaned out the corners by the tub to remove any surface mold particles. Then we sealed the entire lowest subfloor with a layer of Kilz sealant and protectant against any further mold.
 Then, skipping the idiotic particle board, we put down a new subfloor of 3/4" plywood and screwed it down with galvanized screws.

 Since we had done so much work on this bathroom already, we figured now was as good a time as any to do a bit more. Now, all our walls and ceilings look like this:
 It looks like the walls have goosebumps, but they are so rough I have hurt myself, multiple times, to the point of bleeding on it. I hate it. So James picked up a sanding stick and I went over all the walls in the bathroom.
Then I painted all the walls with two coats of Nile Green. Before:

 After:

Next we put in the new vanity. I drilled many small holes to punch out holes big enough for the water lines and drainage pipe
Teresa said it was Mickey Mouse!
While James was in Indiana for a conference, I got the floor done. We went with vinyl tiles with a stone look to them.
Honestly, doing the toilet area wasn't hard. 
 It was doing the doorway that was a pain.
 But I got it done before he got back. And I love the way it looks!
 We shut down the power to the bathroom and I installed the new light fixture. The old one was the original from over 20 years ago and the outer coating had long deteriorated. James thought it was dust, it was really just corrosion. I love this new one so much more.
 James installed the new shower head. The old one gave frustratingly weak water pressure, and this one is pure heaven!
We got a new shower rod and shower curtain which matched the green paint well and, well, let's just say it is my style. :)


Then we got the sink with the new faucet back on. We scuffed the wall so I retouched the paint as well. Honestly, I hated the old faucet so much. It didn't have a separate hot and water handles, just one knob you pull and twist. My younger kids had trouble using it and it had accumulated so much grime and gunk underneath the clear knob it looked wretched. Hello, beautiful brushed nickel! 
It took a few tries to get the drain from the sink hooked back up without leaking. And then I scraped clean the side splash and installed it on the side of the sink.
Since the old baseboards were either broken or had black mold all over the back of them, I had to buy new boards, which I cut to the necessary lengths and angles, sanded the edges and then stained.
 I sealed them with polyurethane and then nailed them on.
 Add caulking on the baseboards near the tub and we were done. Two solid months later.



  We also put in a new, white and smaller air vent... the old one was gray, beaten to all heck, and unnecessarily long for a bathroom.









No comments:

Post a Comment